Galveston Images
Past & Present

Historic Churches



Home

About the Artist


Doorways and Gateways

Historic Downtown

Historic Churches

Christmas Eve Snow

Silent Summer

The Balinese Room

1900 Storm

Hotel Galvez

Alley Art

Tree Carvings

Cast Iron

Panoramas

Railroad Museum

Galveston Harbor

Glory Days

Galveston
Grandeur


Battle of Galveston

Historic Homes

The Seawall







Historic Churches

8" x 10" $12.00

11" x 14" $17.00

Galveston has over fifty Churches and two synagogues. Many of these Churches were built in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.

Galveston Historic Churches on Poster
Top Row Left: St Augustine, 1410 41st St, built 1902. This was the 1st Episcopal African-American Parish in Texas.
Top Row Center: Trinity Episcopal, 701 22nd St, built 1857. This church is one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in Texas.
Top Row Right: St Joseph’s Catholic Church, 2202 Avenue K, built in 1859. It is the oldest wooden church building in Galveston.
Middle Row Left: St Mary’s Cathedral Basilica, 2011 Church St, built 1848. On May 4, 1847 the Pope made St Mary’s “The Mother Church” of the Catholic Diocese of Galveston-Houston.  At that time the diocese comprised most of the state of Texas.
Middle Row Center:  Sacred Heart Church, 928 14th St, built 1904. This structure was built to replace the originally church which was destroyed in the 1900 Storm.
Middle Row Right: Grace Episcopal Church 1115 36th St built in 1895. Grace did not suffer any damage during the 1900 Storm and served as a refuge for many.
Bottom Row Left: Grace Episcopal Parish House, 3612 Avenue L, built 1874. This was the original parish church.
Bottom Row Center: St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 1013 34th St, built 1877. St. Patrick’s was severely damaged during the 1900 Storm. The entire structure was raised several feet in 1908.
Bottom Row Right: First Presbyterian Church, 1903 Church St, built in 1876. The original structure on this site was built in1843 and was the first church constructed on the Island. The present building was dedicated on February 24, 1889.